Your 20’s are your developmental sweetspot
Meg Jay did a great TedTalk called “Why 30 is not the new 20” . I watched it back in May when it was first posted and have found it sitting in the back of my mind ever since. As a clinical psychologist that specializes in supporting young people between the age of 20 and 30, she has a number of really thought provoking observations and statements.
Jay states that according to Neurologists, Sociologists & Psychologists, claiming your 20’s is actually one of the simplest and most transformative things you can do for work, for love, for your happiness & maybe even for the world.
The facts in support of that are:
- 80% of your most transforming moments happen by the age of 35 (8 out of 10 of your pivotal “ah ha” moments will have happened by your mid 30’s)
- half of Americans are married or living with their future partner by age 30
- The first 10 years of your career has the most exponential impact on how much you will earn
- Your brain caps off it’s second growth spurt in your 20’s as it rewires itself for adulthood, so whatever you want to change about yourself, your 20’s is the time to do it
- Your personality changes in your 20’s more than at any other time in your life
Jay has some great suggestions for things that are critical to focus on in your 20’s:
1) Get Identity Capital – do something that adds value to who you are and/or is an investment in who you might want to be next. Identity Capital begets Identity Capital… This is a great time for intentional exploration as there is room to fail and learn – just make it count!
2) Idea of Urban tribe is over-rated -when you huddle within your circle, you are limiting what you know, who you know, what you think, how you think, how you speak and where you work. New things come from “weak ties” (friends of friends of friends). Reach out for new things & new people to grow. This is also the best way to get new experiences and new jobs.
What is your vision? How are doing with moving forward towards your vision? 30 is not the new 20 so let’s partner to claim your adulthood and get some Identity Capital. Connect with me via email, Facebook or twitter.